Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


How do I qualify?

Everyone’s situation is unique. In order for us to determine if you may qualify for assistance, we need to conduct an assessment. The Eligiblity Assessment is completely free and should take less than thirty minutes of your time. Once your information has been submitted we will respond to your request within two to three business days.

What benefits can I expect, once approved?

Many of our clients recieve a cheque for $1,600 to $35,000. Plus an additional $1,600 to $2,400 every following year. Read more about the Benefits of Being Approved.

How long does the process take?

Once you submit a request for a free assessment we will respond to you within two to three business days. Once the assessment has been completed and your information has been submitted the process usually takes less than 120 days.

Can I apply on behalf of my child, or other family member?

Yes, it’s not uncommon to assist a family member. If you are applying on behalf of your child, there are additionals supplements you could be eligible to receive such as the Canada Child Disability Benefit and Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP), in addition to the disability tax credit.

I have low or no income, can I still qualify?

Yes. If you have a low income, you can still qualify for the disability tax credit and Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP). In order to make use of the non-refundable tax credits you will need to transfer your credits to a family member, if possible. Once approved for the Disability Tax Credit and RDSP, low income individuals are also eligible for a government bond of $1,000 a year, for up to twenty years ($20,000).

My income is high, will I still qualify?

Yes. You can still make use of the benefits, regardless of your income.

Can I still use the Disability Tax Credit if I’m on ODSP?

Yes, you can still make use of the Disability Tax Credit, Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) and the other benefits of the Disability Tax Credit if you are on Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP). To read more about what you can do if you're on ODSP read our blog post entitled, "ODSP and the Disability Tax Credit."

My doctor (or someone else) told me I wouldn’t qualify, should I still contact you?

Yes. It’s not uncommon for a doctor to assume their patient will not qualify, when in fact they do. The criteria in order to qualify has changed quite a bit over the years. We’d like to assume that doctor’s do the best they can when informing patients but it may be unreasonable to expect them to keep up to date with changes regarding eligibility for benefit programs. This is one of the reasons we do, what we do. We will communicate with and educate your doctor or anyone else who may have misconceptions about your eligibility.

I’ve already sent in my application to the CRA but was denied. What can I do?

It's not unusual to get denied for the Disability Tax Credit.  The application can be difficult to complete properly.  If you have been denied, there are a few options you can take to appeal the decision.  Contact us at and we'd be happy to review your information and inform you of your options.

A family member that may have been eligible recently passed away. What can I do?

Yes, you can file on behalf of a family member who has passed away.

I think I may already be approved, should I still contact you?

Yes. It’s not uncommon to find individuals who have already been approved for the disability tax credit but are not making any or full use of the benefits available to them. It’s also not uncommon to find individuals who believe they have already approved, but in fact are not.

What Does Disability Tax Service Do?

Disability Tax Service focuses on making sure you receive the maximum benefits you are entitled to, by getting you approved for the Disability Tax Credit and other benefits. Read more about the Services we Offer to learn more.

What is your fee? How does it compare to the competition?

The initial assessment is free of charge. If you wish to proceed with our services after your assessment is completed, our fee is 20% of the amount you receive, once we're successful. If you do not receive any amount from the work completed, then we will not charge you a fee. We do not charge any upfront processing fees.

Will my information remain private and confidential?

Yes, we take privacy and confidentiality very seriously due to the sensitive nature of the information. Your information will remain private and confidential.

I have a question that wasn’t answered here. Where can I ask it?

If you have a question not answered here, you can ask your question below in the comment box and we'll be sure to answer it.  We may add your question to our list of FAQ because if you have a question, chances are many others are asking the same thing too.  If you would rather ask your question in private, don't hesitate to contact us directly at  We look forward to hearing from you!

Have a question that wasn’t answered here?  Feel free to ask in the comment box below and we’ll answer you as soon as possible.

  30 Responses to “Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)”

  1. My Dad got appoval Letter for DTC.
    Could you please advice what is the next step would be


    • The first thing you need to do is determine what years your father is eligible for the credit.

      On the Notice of Determination that he received from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), what year(s) did it state your father is eligible for the disability tax credit?

      Do you know if your father paid enough federal income tax in each year he’s eligible for the disability tax credit? If he did not pay enough federal income tax, you may want to consider transferring his disability tax credits to a relative. We can explore this issue further if necessary.

      I’ve contacted you by email to discuss this in further detail.

      Peter C. Sokoloski

  2. Once I have been accepted for the DTC does the government continue to refund for future tax years, or is it a one time payment? if it is more then a one time credit will I have to be aware of claiming it during tax season or will the government continue to do this automatically?

    • You do need to claim the disability tax credit every year when you file your taxes on line 316. It does not happen automatically and can often be missed. If you transferred your disability tax credits to a spouse (line 326) or relative (line 318), then they will need to claim the disability amount when they file their taxes, on the respective lines mentioned.

      Often individuals can receive a “lump sum” payment by claiming the credit in previous years it was originally missed (up to a maximum of ten calendar years). Going forward you still receive a non-refundable tax credit every year you’re eligible.

  3. I am the parent of a disabled child already approved as disabled via a previous submission of the t2201 tax form. However we only did a re assessment of the tax years of 2010-2005 believing the initial diagnosis only became eligible at that time. However recently we have learned that the disability was from the time of our child’s birth as an intellectual disability ( formerly mental retardation)
    Therefore can we have a new t2201 filled out indicating the expanded date of disability and have the tax years from 2000-2004 re assessed, as well as the child tax benefit?

    Thank you,

    Colin Coates

    • Thank you for contacting Disability Tax Service. The furthest you can go back to claim the disability tax credit is ten calendar years, which is currently 2003. You will need to get another T2201 Disability Tax Credit Certificate completed by your child’s qualified practitioner, stating that her restriction began in 2003.

      You will want to get all of this completed and submitted to the CRA prior to January 1st, 2014 or you will not be able to claim the 2003 disability credit. After December 31st, 2013 you will only be able to claim the DTC back to 2004.

  4. Hi I am on ODSP with my husband and we wanted to know how to get started with this assessment, He has been disabled for 21 yrs and I for almost 5yrs. thank you.

  5. I applied for the Disability Tax Credit for my 9 year old son, for tax years 2004-2012 and was denied. My son can’t read or write, has combined type ADHD, severe dyslexia, dysgraphia, Oppositional defiant disorder, learning disability, speech impairment, haves trouble processing what he hears/and remembering. He cant keep friends, dont get along well with others, has been three years seeing professionals, is hyper and hard to control.

    I know people getting the DTC for just ONE of his disorders, so why the hell was he denied? I don’t understand that!!! It took almost 5 months to get any answers from them and now a denial, I think revenue canada denies everyone to see who will appeal!!! For god sakes!!!

    • Sorry to hear about the difficult experience you had with the CRA. Unfortunately this is not an uncommon scenario, especially while attempting to get approved under the “mental functions necessary for every day living” section of the form.

      What the CRA doesn’t tell you is that they often request additional information from the medical practitioner who completed the T2201, in the form of a multiple choice questionnaire. The questionnaire is generally what the CRA uses to determine eligible for the credit. You will want to request a copy of this information, with the qualified practitioners answers.

      I’d be happy to provide you with a free eligibility assessment to determine if your son should be eligible for the DTC.

  6. I am 75yrs of age and have been retired for 12 yrs. Do I still qualify.

  7. My niece is thirty years old and is an extreme asthmatic and juvenile diabetic would she qualify for any assistance

    • It depends on how the symptoms of the asthma affect your niece’s ability to perform the basic activities of daily living. We would also need to explore the length of time it takes you niece to manage her diabetes care. The best way to find out if she qualifies is to fill out an eligibility assessment request.. We’ll respond to your request within two business days or less.

  8. If I apply and you get some coverage for me and take your you also get 20% of my cpp and oas

  9. I have been approved for the Federal Disability Tax Credit. Do I have to apply for the
    Provincil Credit serparately?

    Thank you.

  10. Is the 20% fee charged on the first amount, if received, or is there an ongoing cost?

  11. I have had a Doctor refuse me in the past so never tried again. Can the RDSP be rolled back to 2008 because I had the same disability then, just an uninformed Doctor. Almost 48 now so quite concerned.


    • If you have a qualified practitioner that will certify on the T2201 that your restriction in one of the Basic Activities of Daily Living (BADL) began in 2008, then yes. You can make use of the RDSP Disability Bonds and Grants going back ten calendar (to a maximum of 2008 when the program was introduced.)

      Many doctor’s have misconceptions about the eligibility criteria for the disability tax credit. This is not an uncommon situation. We would be happy to communicate with your doctor for you, to explain the eligibility criteria. I’ve sent you an email to discuss this further.

  12. How long after the approval letter does it take to start getting the benefits?

  13. My question is. I’m going to be 60 years old in Sept 2012. If I apply for the tax credit and it is approved this year and they go back on my taxes until 2004, am I allowed to take advantage of the Canada Saving Disability Grant for the years from 2004 until 2012? Thank you

    • Thank you for your question, as I’m sure many other people can benefit from this information. When an RDSP is first established any grants will be paid for the preceding ten years (going as far back as 2008 when the RDSP was first established). The grants will be based on the family net income in each of those specific years. Unfortunately the disability grants are only available to those who are under the age of 50.

      Don’t confuse this with the disability tax credit which you can claim when your eligibility first began (in your case 2004, the maximum length of time you can go back is 2002, or ten calendar years) and following years. The disability grants and bonds do have an age limit of 49, but the disability tax credit can be claimed by those of all ages.

  14. I have a question concerning the Child Disability Benefit. About how long after the Notice of Determination is sent out would the Child Disability Benefit be processed? My husband was approved for the Disability Tax Credit on behalf of my son (we applied for my son, but my husband would be the one claiming the DTC on his return) and the letter on the Notice of Determination was May 30, 2012.

    Thanks! :)

    • Thank you for contacting Disability Tax Service.

      Assuming you correctly submitted the adjustment requests for each of the years it can take anywhere from four to eight weeks to be processed. The length of time varies depending on the time of year you submitted the adjustment requests.

      If your spouse has setup direct deposit with the CRA, that will also shave a week off of the processing time.

  15. Hello, I have been supporting my brother who has Kidney Disease for several years now. I applied for the Disability Tax Credit for all of the years I have assisted him and just recently recieved the DTC which took aproximately 3 months. My brother has also transfered his eligabilty to me for the tax year 2011. This was approximately the last week of April 2012 with our tax accountant. I was wondering when I should be expecting the DTC for last year (2011)? Do we have to go through the same process all over again with the long processing time(6-8 weeks) plus have my brothers doctor fill out more forms/applications, or is my brothers initial approval of the DTC enough, allowing for quicker processing? Again, the Disability Tax Credit for the tax year 2011 was just transfered to me to at the end of April. How long will it take to recieve the DTC funds? Thank You. I look forward to your reply.
    Stephen Chung
    Toronto On.

  16. Hello my name is Brenda Brandon. I would like to know if i can get anything for being Neil caregiver. My Neil had a storke June 02/05. He can not work any more. But i do. I take neil to DR and his heart DR in Victoria and blood work and so on!! Neil just got a peacemaker put in and i take him for his check up to make sure it working. Neil can talk and walk but not to much any more.
    Neil had 3 clots in his brain so he some times have bad days and good. But i would like to know if there is anything for him or me. Thank you all Brenda Brandon

    • Hi Brenda, I’ve gone ahead and sent you an email. For anyone else in a similar situation, the best way to find out if you or a loved one is eligible for anything is to complete the Free Assessment form. We’ll let you know what you or your family member may be entitled to, such as the Disability Tax Credit, Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) and other disability benefits. There’s nothing to lose and much to gain.

 Leave a Reply



You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>